At South Crosland C. E. (A) Junior School, every person in our school community has been made on the image of God and is loved unconditionally by God. Everyone is equal and we treat each other with dignity and respect. Our school is a place where everyone should be able to flourish in a loving and hospitable community. Each person in all their unique difference should be able to thrive, irrespective of physical appearance, age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, socio-economic background, academic ability, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. We are committed to promoting the understanding of the principles and practices of equality – treating all members of our school community as individuals, according to their needs, with an awareness of our diverse society and appreciating the value of difference. We actively seek to challenge discrimination and we promote an anti-bullying stance which makes clear the unacceptability of racist, disablist and homophobic, bi-phobic and transphobic bullying and language.
At South Crosland C. E. (A) Junior School, we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act 2010. This commitment applies to our work in the classroom, our pupil support systems, our recruitment and retention of staff and our work in the local wider community.
Our admission arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, belief, disability and/or socio-economic background.
Our Equality Objectives:
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through all appropriate curricular and extra-curricular opportunities. We aim to meet this objective with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity.
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
- To move beyond deterministic notions of fixed ability and to model learning and teaching behaviours that avoid labelling.
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school.
- To eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.
- To tackle prejudice and promote understanding in relation to people with disabilities.
- To monitor and promote the involvement of all groups of children in the life of the school, including leadership opportunities.
- To close gaps in attainment and achievement between groups of children; especially boys and girls, children eligible for free-school meals, children with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and children from different heritage groups.
At South Crosland C. E. (A) Junior School, we promote the principles and practices of equality and justice throughout the school and children are supported to be:
- Understanding of others
- Celebratory of cultural diversity
- Eager to reach their full potential
- Aware of what constitutes discriminate behaviour
As an employer we will not discriminate on any of the following:
- Gender re-assignment
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership
Nor as a school or employer will we accept any of the following:
- Direct discrimination
- Indirect discrimination
- Associative discrimination
- Harassment by a third party
The school’s employees will:
- Promote diversity and equality
- Encourage and adopt an inclusive attitude
- Lead by example
To be reviewed: Spring 2024